Wednesday, August 22, 2012

So teach us to number our day - A personal post

So teach us to number our days 
that we may get a heart of wisdom.
Psalm 90:12

Psalm 90 has been one of my favorite chapters in the Bible since I was in college. I don't know what it is exactly that draws me to it...maybe its melancholy tone, maybe the truth of the toil and heartache we feel in this life, or maybe its the fact that it sounds so desperate and hopeless for much of the psalm. The part that really gets me is that the "[years of our life] are soon gone, and we fly away."

There's something in this that really resonates with me. I'm not a depressed, pessimistic or too emotional person. But I often feel like this life is slipping away too fast and our toil and troubles are all too real. There's something in me that jumps up and wants to rebel against this heartache. I desperately search for more. 

And that's when it happens.The most lovely thing takes place in the last stanza of this psalm. There's a huge juxtaposition between the toil/trouble reality and how the psalmist deals with the sad aforementioned truths of life.  After going on and on about how short and hard life is he says, 

"Satisfy us in the morning with your steafast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days. Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us, and for as many years as we have seen evil."  

I'm so thankful that we don't have to be stuck in the mire. My heart leaps for joy that I can have peace and hope because of what Christ has done. I know that all things will be made right one day.

And I think this all plays into why I love photography. I am reminded over and over again how short life is. I know that these moments are fleeting and I think that's why I can't put my camera down...I want to keep recording life as long as I can. I know I can't relieve the moments, and I know that taking pictures doesn't make me live any longer, and I know that it doesn't change the heartache and toil that is intertwined with this life, but photography helps me to record some of the goodness that God has allowed us to experience, as a sort of foreshadowing of what is to come. 



3 comments:

  1. Photography has a special place in my heart. Because of a wonderful angel of a photographer who is as passionate about photography as you are, we have beautiful momentos of our family of four. Something that I will cherish forever. And although you are capturing happier moments for families, you too are making a difference in people's lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie. I'm so glad you have your pictures...I know how priceless they are.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete